Ask the professional who will be installing your floor for cleaning tips. Keep any cleaning solutions used for secondary materials off your wood floors. Here are some tips for keeping your hardwood floor in pristine condition:
* When moving heavy furniture, protect wood flooring by slipping a piece of cloth under the legs or covering each leg with a heavy sock.
* Put plastic or fabric-faced glides under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching.
* Remember that cleats, sports shoes and high heels can dent any floor surface.
* Never wet-mop a wood floor. Standing water can dull the finish, damage the wood and leave a discoloring residue.
* Wipe up food and other spills immediately with a dry or slightly dampened towel. Consult with an installer, the finisher or the manufacturer if there is any doubt of the kind of floor finish.
* Place mats and throw rugs at doorways, exteriors and interiors to help prevent the tracking of grit, dirt and sand.
* Sweep or vacuum wood floors regularly.